Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Overview: Epics of India

Although I have never taken a class on any topic relative to epics, or anything heavily emphasizing literature at all for that matter, I find it to be a very interesting topic and I think I will enjoy learning about it. I am a huge fan of stories such as The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones series, so I am looking forward to broadening my horizon in this area.


I have never really studied any sort of mythology either, but I randomly found interest in Buddhism a year or two ago. I have read a book explaining the Buddhist religion as well a few books written by the Dalai Lama. This sparked my interest enough to try out meditation and some practices of Ayurveda, but nothing serious. 

This past summer I took a class on 20th century India and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. We touched on characters such as Gandhi, Tilak, and Jinnah, and dove into the ideas behind Swaraj and The Quit India Movement. It was really interesting, I had no idea that 20th century India was such a tumultuous time.

Gandhi and his spinning wheel-Late 1920's: Wiki Commons 

No comments:

Post a Comment