Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The first storybook that caught my attention was Karma: It’s not just for breakfast anymore. The title is simple and straightforward, which I like. I have covered this topic briefly in my readings on Buddhism, but it is something that I would like to know more about. Also, I think this is a topic that can be universally applied to how people conduct themselves in day to day life. The introduction, just like the title, is simple and straightforward. Consisting of a short quote and a single image, the introduction gets straight to the point of the storybook. In this case, less is more, which is what initially caught my attention. Keeping with the trend, the layout is very simple. The home page that you are directed to contains the links to the various stories, which are located at the top of the page and very easy to navigate. Each story contains images that contain hints of irony or humor, which I think is helpful for making the stories stick in one’s memory.

Another storybook that caught my attention was The Adventures of Hanuman. This is an entirely new subject for me. As the title says, the storybook is a telling of Hanuman’s life, starting from his background through his various adventures and exploits. The introduction does a very good job of catching the reader’s attention. The storybook is presented as a bedtime story given by a man to his grandson. The story is the only way the grandson is able to settle down enough to sleep because he loves listening to them so much, which leads the reader to assume the stories are very interesting. The layout of the page is very easy to navigate. It is rudimentary with clearly marked titles to various parts of the story, making it very easy to make your way through the story. This layout is something that I think would be useful when I am designing my own project. 

Hanuman.jpg
Hanuman: Wiki Commons



The third storybook that caught my attention was Fireside Stories: Epic Himalayan Adventures. I enjoy camping and making fires, so this title seemed very intriguing. As for Epic Himalayan Adventures, I have little to zero knowledge on the subject. The storybook is true to its title, setting the stage at the base of a revered mountain. It is arranged as a series of stories given to foreign exchange students wishing to expand on their knowledge of the Hindu religion. The introduction gives a detailed description of the campsite and surrounding area, allowing the readers to imagine themselves in that environment. Additionally, the stories are told by various characters who are important to the Hindu religion. These details create an atmosphere that really lets the reader connect with and truly understand the importance of these stories. The layout is interesting as well. The background is an image of the night sky filled with stars, which helps create the atmosphere of the storybook. I think this is a simple step that could be easily adapted to my own project.

No comments:

Post a Comment