Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Reading Evaluation: Week 15

I think my favorite readings from this semester would probably have to be the Life of Buddha from the Sacred Texts website. I really liked this because Buddhism is something that has always struck my attention a little bit, so it was nice to be allowed the flexibility to chose stories like this one if you felt inclined to do so. Also, it was an online, public domain edition, so I was able to read the stories whether I was at work or at home or on campus somewhere.

I found that breaking up the reading into little subheadings that correlated to the each episode within the story I was reading was very helpful. This helped keep everything organized and I knew exactly where to find the information I was looking for whenever I was working on my writing.

I found that there was a fairly heavy emphasis on reading. I know this is just a personal preference, but I think I would have been able to come up with adequate stories from doing just one reading diary per week. For example, breaking up Part One of Week 5's into two parts, so 5 episodes for Reading Diary A and 5 Episodes for Reading Diary B (since they were usually 10 a pop). As far as the comments, I felt that was well balanced. It allowed us to read other students stories, but was not overboard.

My advice for people is to take the time to find a reading selection that you actually enjoy. If you just pick the first thing you see, you might end up forcing yourself through the stories. This is take more time and will be reflected in the storytelling. But when you're genuinely intrigued by what your reading, it no longer becomes an assignment, it's just a way to pass the time, almost like a hobby?

No comments:

Post a Comment