Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Week 15 Growth Mindset

Luck: Personal Meme

I made this meme on the AutoMotivator site. The phrase "Luck is simply when preparation and opportunity intersect" is a quote that my grandfather told me a couple of years ago. This always stuck with me because I think there is a lot of truth behind it. I think a lot of times it is too easy for people to blame the success of other (or more specifically the stagnation of themselves) on "luck". While there might be some degree of chance to it, I think that blind luck is a very rare thing. I am a firm believer that everyone who is extremely successful, like the Bill Gates or the US when we landed on the moon, put in a tremendous amount of time and energy to get to where they are. It reminds of the book "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell. It talks about stories of success and how those who are very successful at anything put in their "10,000 hours". In order to be success, you simply have invest a lot of time and energy into it and if you want to GREAT you have to put in your an extraordinary amount of work ("10,000 hours"). 

1 comment:

  1. Kurtis,
    I think that this quote is true beyond measure. I don’t necessarily believe in luck when it comes to being successful. I feel that you have to put in the time, energy, and patience in order to become successful. Anyone that says that they are as successful because of a game of luck is lying, unless they had other people that were doing all of the work to get them to where they are.

    ReplyDelete